Tuesday 31 July 2012

My Attempt at Michelle's Dinner....

A few weeks ago while visiting Abbotsford, our great friends Michelle and Peter invited us over for a double date. Michelle made her famous sangria (I'm slightly addicted now :P), ceasar salad, asparagus, and bbq chicken covered with shrimp and a bernaise sauce. It was delicious!!!!! We followed that up with the pool and hot tub.. making it a perfect evening.

This morning I decided to try and replicate that yummy dinner, as best I could anyway. Looking through the fridge I picked ceasar salad and corn on the cob for our sides (sadly we had already eaten all of the asparagus). I took out the tiger prawns, thawed them with a little warm water, and removed the shells. I know this might sound strange but I love peeling the shells... don't judge haha. I needed half a grapefruit for ribs tomorrow so I squirted the rest of it on the prawns and added a little salt and pepper. I left them to marinate all day... I think this is my new favourite way to do prawns - citrus all the way! I just rubbed some pre-made garlic pepper mix on the chicken and left it to Matt to bbq.

Once the corn and chicken were on the bbq and the prawns were starting to cook in the juice (just in a frying pan for a few minutes), I went to grab my packet of bernaise sauce. To my shock there wasn't one. I must have decided on the hollandaise instead :S So I was like.. shhhhhiiiiiittttt..... and decided to whip up an asiago cheese sauce. I melted a few tablespoons of butter, whisked in a few more tablespoons of flour. Poured in some milk and added some salt and pepper. Once it was thicker, I stirred in grated asiago until it all melted. I kinda threw together a super boring salad while this was happening :(

At this point... Matt walked in with the corn and chicken. I dished up the toppings while Matt chucked the corn (my girly hands can't handle the heat). It turned out sooooo good, Matt ate his left overs as seconds. So It wasn't exactly like Michelle's but it turned out pretty good!! Thanks for the inspiration girl :D




No comments:

Post a Comment