Tuesday 10 July 2012

Cucumber Bacon Muffins (I know this sounds weird...)

For a few weeks I've been wanting to make some kind of savory muffin but a lack of muffin tins has stood in my way. I was trying to think what I could make with a cucumber that's been hanging around and figured what the heck... lets make muffins out of it! I found a recipe for salami and cucumber muffins. However, I ended up changing almost everything. So here's my big experiment...

I cooked approximately 150g of bacon (helpful hint - cut bacon while its frozen, it makes it so much easier). 



Next I peeled and grated a medium cucumber, as well as one medium white onion. I also grated about 1 cup of cheddar cheese.


In a bowl, mix together 150ml milk, 100ml light sour cream, 2 eggs, 1/3 tbsp dried dill weed and 1 tbsp olive oil.


In an electric mixer, combine 2.5 cups flour, 1 tbsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Then add all remaining ingredients, be careful not to over mix.


I only have mini muffin tray so I used these... One GIANT problem was that I followed part of the recipe. It said to use muffin liners (which I'm always a fan of because it means easy cleaning). When I pulled them out I discovered the muffins wont come out of the liners. Next time I'm going to just pam the tray before pouring the batter in. I baked the muffin at 400F for about 20 minutes, until the tops were golden.


This recipe ended up making exactly 48 mini muffins. Honestly, I was a little skeptical about how good they would be but they are actually great!! Except for having to work to get them out of the liner :)



1 comment:

  1. wow! this looks so interesting! thanks for sharing. LOVE YOU!!! <3

    ReplyDelete