Wednesday 8 August 2012

Two Words: Cajun. Seafood.

Seafood is amazing! I love almost anything that comes out of the water. We've been eating tons of prawns lately since we stocked up during a sale. I was trolling the net looking for something I've never tried before and bam... cajun seafood casserole! It was perfect! I went down to the store and bought some fresh fish; snapper and sole fillets. I made quite a few changes to this recipe... here's my version.

Cajun Spice Mix 
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Just magic bullet everything! Maybe add a bit more cayenne...depending on your preference. It makes more than you need for this recipe but I just saved the left overs and will use it for something else. 

Cajun Seafood Casserole
- 20 raw prawns (or shrimp)
- 800g white fish fillets
- Several tsp ground mustard
- Several tbsp cajun spice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 7 green onions, finely chopped
- 7 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups light cream (milk would work too)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 box pasta

So I kind of doubled the recipe but didn't have enough rice so I made up some pasta... Once cooked, spread the rice and pasta in two separate casserole dishes. You can just make less seafood and do rice or pasta if you want. 

Preheat the oven to 400F. Start by cooking the prawns in the white wine. Once finished, drain prawns but KEEP the wine. Rub a little bit of ground mustard, followed by a larger amount of cajun spice on both sides of the fish fillets. Then cook them slowly in a frying pan with a splash of olive oil. Cook the veggies with 2 tbsp of cajun spice, basil, and a little olive oil. Add the green onions near the end since they don't take long. Once soft, add the wine and cream. Layer the prawns and fish in pieces over the rice/noodles. Then pour the sauce over top and bake until heated through. 

(before the oven...) 

Then you're done!! I think next time I will make slightly more sauce and add more cayenne (it wasn't quite spicy enough for Matthew... a frequent problem in our house haha). Random thought... I think I want to try this with chicken.... and only rice....


No comments:

Post a Comment