Friday 17 August 2012

Dip and Dipping Things

Sorry it's taken a while for me to post this recipe... I've been a tad drama filled and preoccupied lately :S Last week I found another recipe for green beans. I know.. I've been buying them A LOT but they are sooo cheap! Matt is getting sick of them so I think I'll have to lay off for a while.. sad :(. I decided to try charred green beans with a cajun dipping sauce! It is DELICIOUS!! It reminded me of french fries but they are obviously waaayyyy healthier. Here's the skinny.. 

Cajun Dipping Sauce (warning: this is not exact)
- 3 heaping soup spoons of mayo
- 1 tsp strong dijon mustard (maybe more depending on taste)
- 3 tsp cajun spice mix (from the previous blog entry!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Cayenne to taste (I did about 1/2 tsp)

Just mix everything in a bowl and you're done! I would taste it and tweak it to your own taste buds. I tend to lean on the spicier side for Matthew :P The green beans were easy.. I just put them on the bbq and tried to rotate the until they were cooked and a little crispy. A few committed suicide and fell into the bbq so I might try using the bbq wok next time. Seriously... they were soooooooooooooo yummmmyyyyy with the dipping sauce. 


We had left over sauce so I decided to try making yams fries. I've made them a few times now and it works out every time. Definitely a winning combination. I even tried making turnip fries last night and they were awesome! 

Yam/Turnip Fries
- 1 medium yam/large turnip
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 450f. Whatever you do, don't wash the yam! They must be dry. Simply cut off the ends and any bad bits. If using turnips then peel away! Slice them into fries and put them in a sealed plastic container. Pour about 1-2 tbsp of olive on top with some salt and fresh cracked pepper. Put the lid on the container and shake away. The fries should be evenly coated with S&P and a little oil (not dripping with it!). Spread them out on a backing sheet, making sure the fries aren't touching one another. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake an additional 10 minutes. And then you're done! I like then a little crispy so you may want to reduce the time by a few minutes. 

Hope you enjoy them!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment