Sunday 22 January 2012

Our First Dinner Party!

Finally, 5 months after moving into a new place, Matt and I had people over for a proper dinner! Our good friends Brandon and Emma, who are also engaged, came over for a visit :) Kelsey and Ku drifted in and out throughout the night but I'm going to include them anyway.

 Our menu was basically a giant experiment. Here is the plan:
- Penne pasta with a tomato/spicy Italian sausage sauce (Matt tried to explain his vision for the sauce but I got lost and left this completely up to him). 
- Cheesy mashed potatoes with sausage and onions (You may be wondering what's with all the sausage??? Matt got a great deal on Italian sausage so there was plenty in his freezer)
- Ceasar salad with homemade croutons and dressing

After we arrived in Vancouver, Matt and I cut up and froze the sheet carrot cake and brownies (the topic of  an earlier post). I saved a few little brownies for dessert, in addition to the round carrot cake. Matt started cooking the sausage and potatoes while I got ready (what a fantastic fiance!!). Brandon and Emma came right on time.. so we got to chat while we cooked. 

One thing I need to put on our wedding registry asap is a garlic press! Oh god it took me FOREVER to chop and crush a whole head of garlic (but we did put it in the sauce, potatoes, salad dressing and croutons... yikers). Everything came together really well... The sauce turned out amazing!! One of the best pasta dishes I think I've ever had. The mashed potatoes were delicious.. a mixture of monterrey jack, sausage slices, garlic and sauteed onions. I was a little uneasy about the ceasar dressing (the raw egg freaked me out a little haha) but it turned out well... could use a little more zip though. My classic homemade croutons turned out ok.. a little under toasted but I was too impatient to wait for them to finish (I swear Matt's oven was out to get me on this one). 

The food went over great. Here's Matt and his second helping <3


Dessert was great, although everyone was full so there was quite a bit left (more for the boys to eat and Brandon to take home). I can't wait to have people over again... actually... I can't wait to move into our own place and have people over. I wonder what will be next in my New Wife Project??

No comments:

Post a Comment