Thursday 11 October 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

Because my poor husband is sick, I let him choose any soup he wanted. His choice?? Butternut squash soup.... blah :S I'm not a fan of squash but I figured what the heck, he is sick and it's what he wants. Luckily I bought the last squash in the store, guess it was meant to be! I'm not a fan of the final product but I wasn't expecting to be... hopefully Matt will love it when he gets home from work!!

Ingredients
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 small apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 3/4 cup vegetable stock (or 900ml)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- Salt, pepper and cayenne to taste

First I peeled the squash. I have never made squash before so I was surprised to see a clear liquid bubble up from the flesh. I thought it was just water but my hands quickly got covered and then the stuff wouldn't come off! I've washed my hands 4 times and they still feel weird :P Make sure you scrape out the seeds before you cut the squash up into pieces. The recipe called for 1 baking apple but I just peeled and chopped two gala apples. 



Next, melt the butter and throw in the onions... cooking until tender (about 5 minutes). Then add the curry powder, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Then add the vegetable stock, squash, apples and basil to the onions. It said to simmer for 20 minutes but I had to wait almost 40 until the squash was soft. Instead of blending the soup I just mashed it with a potatoe masher.... I think I mentioned before that Matt is a pro-chunky soup so I didn't want it too smooth. Then I added the apple juice and played around with the spices. Hopefully Matt will get his squash fix because he has an entire pot to fill this craving :P 






No comments:

Post a Comment